Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Carnivores & Cupcakes

On Wednesday, we had a day free of meetings, etc. so Neeks and I spent a lot of time exploring the city.  I love snapping photos right and left because there is so much to see!  It's a fact: I will never master the subway system.  Every time I think I have it down, I get on the wrong train and take an hour-long detour through the Bronx.  It may take me a little longer, but I generally get where I need to go (good thing I haven't been on a schedule yet).


Don't the taxis look adorable all lined up?  Wrong.  They are the Devil.  I'm nearly plowed over at least 5 times every day by an impatient driver honking and cursing at me to get out of the way.  Hence, I brave the subway.
On Wednesday, the subway took Neeks and I to the Museum of Natural History.  It's the same one that's in the movie "Night at the Museum" with Ben Stiller (you know, where the dinosaurs 
and Pocahontas and Roosevelt all hang out at night).  The dinosaur skeletons were HUGE but I couldn't get any good pictures of them because there were dumb little kids flocking around all over the place.  Anyway, after the third hour of trekking through mazes of Trobriand Islander clay pots and miniature villages, I was ready to chill.  We crossed the street to Central Park where I was able to take some fabulous pics.  It really is an oasis in the middle of the city, and it was so relaxing!  


Of course, I couldn't be in the city for 4 days without going to Magnolia for cupcakes.  I had a glorious reunion with Giuliana over vanilla cupcakes with chocolate frosting and sprinkles.
It couldn't have been better!  On the way back to FIT, I stopped in the Marc Jacobs store and nearly fainted.  New York is wonderful.

Yesterday, Neeks and I woke up in a collective bad mood, so walked 30 blocks to go to MoMA (the Museum of Modern Art).  They had a Salvador Dali exhibition on the 6th floor that was absolutely magnificent.  We were just blown away by some of the works on display and the scope of the exhibition.  Greatly improved moods ensued.  After MoMA, we went to Century 21 (finally!!!!!).  It was insane.  I'll spare you the gory details, but Neeks and I emerged with a load of fabulous stuff (including a pair of rose gold Marc Jacobs shoes for me.  They are currently on display in my dorm room).  Needless to say, it was a productive day, until our 2-hour-long subway fiasco trying to get home.  Unimportant:  A 15-minute subway ride took us nearly two hours.  Important:  We still made it home in time to order out Taco Bandito and make outfits.  Everyone wins!
On a side note, New York Fashion Week is September 5-12 and Neeks and I both signed up to work it!  SO EXCITED!!!
I feel more like a New Yorker already.






1 comment:

AUNT said...

I am so glad to see you using the CITY PASS, remember it expires 9 days after the purchase. Try to use the STATUE OF LIBERTY one. I am telling you that the Hop on- Hop off is the way to see it all or figure out the subway. Gave Colt a triple bath after work tonite so he will look good for Whitney when she picks him up. He is so sweet.
I am going to the dogs. I am glad your phone is fixed and you were prompt about sending mine back. FASHION WEEK sounds exciting! Lots of pics!

Love Aunt