Sunday, August 24, 2008

The Balloon Dog and Other Adventures



Well, I made it through my first full weekend in the city.  The highlights consisted of one marathon of a stroll and my first visit to the Met.

On Saturday morning, Teneka and I decided to go for a walk.  Just a little weekend stroll around the city.  90 blocks later, we returned, with ailing feet and nearly nothing to show for our journey save a few photos in which we look sweaty and exhausted.  But it was glorious!  During our trek we saw the Empire State Building, Trump Tower, Bryant Park, the Henri Bendel, and countless other fabulous shops such as Prada, Salvatore Ferragamo, Pucci, Cartier, and Tiffany.  'Twas worth the callouses. 

Today, I visited the Metropolitan Museum of Art for the first time in my life.  It was extraordinary.  I saw some of my most favorite works ever in person!  

Andre Derain, Regent Street, London

There is a roof garden on the very top floor of the Met, and there were three works from Jeff Koons on display.  They were fantastic to see in person, especially on the roof of the museum with the city view all around!  This one was my favorite.  I had to let out a little giggle at the would-be art connoisseurs sipping Pellegrino with lime, babbling about Koons' aesthetic tradition.  It's a balloon dog. 

Jeff Koons, Balloon Dog

Oh, and did I mention that I navigated my way via metro to the Met and back without any trouble?  I suppose it was a bit straightforward, but I was thrilled nonetheless.  I also was able to spend some time in Central Park, which has become my new favorite hangout.  Classes start tomorrow, and I couldn't be more excited to meet my professors and dive right in.  Wish me luck!

No comments: