Sunday, September 21, 2008

The Grind

It's been a busy couple of weeks...the daily grind has commenced with force.  Classes are going well (so far) although I am continuously bombarded with reading and writing.  I'm learning a lot though, and I guess that's why I'm here.  Go figure.  I finally made decisions about my 
 internships, and, indecisive as I am, I've ended up with two.  One is for Sundaram Tagore Gallery in Chelsea.  It is an art gallery that specializes in representing cross-cultural artists and has locations in Beverly Hills and Hong Kong.  The other is at the Joan Mitchell Foundation, a non-profit organization begun after the death of one of my favorite artists, Joan Mitchell.  They provide assistance to artists in need, such as those displaced by hurricane Katrina.  You can check out the links to the two places here:
www.sundaramtagore.com/
www.joanmitchellfoundation.org/

Anyway, needless to say, my life has become exponentially fuller in the past few weeks, but I'm enjoying it nonetheless.  I still find time to do New Yorkerish things, and hang out with fellow city-dwellers.  Last weekend, I went to the Guggenheim Museum
for the first time with some classmates for the Louise Bourgeois exhibition.  It was a great show, and the museum building itself was quite a  marvel.  I also went to the Whitney Museum with my San Francisco friend Kit, and caught up with him on life after the W&M Art Department.  I've found that it does exist.  

For the record, I am quite partial to spending time on the Upper East Side, not only because of the great museums and window-gawking opportunities, but also in hopes of finding my one and only source into the scandalous lives of Manhattan's elite.  XOXO, Gossip Girl.  I never had a desire to watch the show until I moved here, and I still hesitate to admit that I do, in fact, care whether Chuck Bass and Blair Waldorf end up together, but it's kind of cool to fake-shop in Bendel's and fake-gossip on the steps of the Met just like in the show.  I haven't grown up nearly as much as I thought.
 


 This weekend, Daniel came to visit, and experienced the city firsthand via THE MEGABUS.  If you're not aware of THE MEGABUS, go to www.megabus.com and check out the amazing deals on buses from DC to NYC and a bunch of other places.  If you book at the right time, you can get a round trip for $1.50!  
Anyway, the weather totally freaked this weekend and it became fall, but we managed to do some sightseeing anyway.  I must make a disclaimer that I AM NOT A TOURIST, despite my propensity to take advantage of tourist-esque photo-ops.  I'll get over it eventually.  The best discovery of the weekend was Yolato, "yogurt gelato" with toppings such as granola and fresh mangoes.  We're addicted. 

Well, there's a busy week ahead, but I'm looking forward to it.  Campus is all abuzz about the big notorious fashion show-down between FIT and Parsons School of Design (huge rivalry there).  It should be pretty cutthroat; I'll be sure to post pictures!   

4 comments:

AUNT said...

Is that you and Daniel posing in the picture??? What was up with that?? It sounds like you are working on having a full schedule.
Leave some time for your Aunt.

Anonymous said...

Hey Girl,
Ive read all your blogs and it looks like your having an amazing time. Im sure your mom is so very proud of you. We look forward to seeing you and the city as soon as we can. It will be fun to explore New York City with a real NEWYORKER. Have fun but dont do anything i would do! LOVE,

JOSH AND KAT

Aunt Lisa said...

Hey Peach,
Looks like your in your element. Please be careful. Don't make me come up there.:)I'm glad your happy. Let me know if you need anything. Love you babes!

Echomino's Family said...

Hey Ms. Lady,

Just wanted to let you know that Matt and I will be heading to Aunt Lisa's house for Turkey Day. Let us know what you will be doing.

Love ya,

Echo